top of page

Woodbridge Town 2 v 0 Sheringham

Woodbridge Town returned to winning ways for the first time in a month by defeating Sheringham 2-0 at the Homestyle Ground.

Taylor Southgate opened the scoring midway through the second half before Armani Schaar tucked away a last minute penalty to make sure of the points.

The first real sight of goal didn’t arrive until the 35th minute when Ryan Keeble sent a ball in behind for Andrew Crowe to chase. He got a first-time effort away under pressure but couldn’t generate enough power and Denham Oliver saved it comfortably.

The second half started brighter with Sheringham having a chance in the 48th minute when Blois broke down the left and played the ball inside for Alex Brasero who got a driven strike away which Stronge got down to save.

The Peckers went close in the 60th minute when Crowe chased an under-hit backpass and forced Oliver into a sliced clearance high in the air. Crowe won the header from the follow-up but couldn’t find the net from the corner of the box.

Woodbridge had another chance shortly after when Kubi Kussan slotted Evan Bolt in behind the defence who broke just inside the box and got a shot away with the outside of his boot but it was straight at the keeper.

The Peckers took the lead in the 72nd minute when Kussan whipped in a perfectly weighted corner to the near post which was headed home by Southgate who rose unchallenged to open the scoring.

They went close again five minutes later with substitute Luke Mallett almost marking his return to fitness instantly with an assist. He slotted through Kussan one-on-one but Oliver was equal to his effort.

The visiting keeper sent his side straight down the other end where they almost equalised in stunning fashion. Alfie Bell crossed from the left for substitute Jamie Nelson who attempted a bicycle kick which went narrowly over.

Woodbridge had another chance in the 83rd minute when Keeble opened up space to shoot on the edge of the box but saw his effort parried away from the bottom left corner by the outstretched Oliver.

The Peckers were awarded a penalty in the 90th minute when Kussan was brought down in the box. Schaar stepped up to take it and calmly slotted low into the back of the net to wrap the game up.

An impressive performance from the Peckers who had to battle strong winds in the first half before using them to their advantage well in the second. Next up is the first of two trips to Norfolk this week as the lads head to Downham Town on Wednesday night.

Woodbridge: Stronge, Schaar, Leggett, Southgate, Allen, Rea, Monteith-Weed (Finlinson 50), Kussan, Crowe (Mallett 76), Bolt (Trotter 69), Keeble Unused: Clark

Sheringham: Oliver, Henman, Galley, Cox, Mayhew, Imessaoudene (Nelson 69), Bourner (Oakley 73), McIntyre, Bell, Brasero, Blois Unused: White

Report by Rob Binns

22 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Woodbridge Town 4 v 1 Soham

Woodbridge Town rounded off the season in style with a comprehensive 4-1 victory against Soham Town Rangers at the Homestyle Ground. Kelsey Trotter opened the scoring before Jordan Chipps equalised sh

Fakenham 2 v 1 Woodbridge Town

Woodbridge Town ended their 2023/24 away campaign with a narrow 2-1 defeat against Fakenham Town. Goals from Jayden Wright and Jay Myhill saw the Ghosts ahead at the break which proved to be enough de

Downham Market 1 v 2 Woodbridge Town

Woodbridge Town picked up their first win away from home since the 5th of September with a fantastic performance to beat Downham Town 2-1. Andrew Crowe opened the scoring early on before Joe Jackson s


bottom of page