top of page

Woodbridge Town 2-1 Newmarket Town

By Rob Binns

Woodbridge Town made it back-to-back wins at the Homestyle Ground, producing a fantastic performance to defeat high-flying Newmarket Town 2-1.

Kelsey Trotter put the Peckers in front in the first half with a stunner before Jordan Foster equalised for the Jockeys. Substitute Kane Webster won the game after the break with his first goal for the senior team since stepping up from the U23s.

The first sight of goal in the game fell for the Peckers after six minutes when Ryan Keeble worked space down the left and crossed to the back post for Ben Monteith-Weed who headed just wide under pressure from the defender.

Woodbridge took the lead in stunning fashion in the 15th minute when Trotter collected the ball and drove through the sliding challenge of the centre half. He then checked onto his left, skipped past a second defender and fired home an effort into the roof of the net from outside the box.

The visitors were temporarily reduced to 10 men when Ali Conway was given a 10-minute sin bin for dissent in the 25th minute following his reaction to being flagged offside.

That seemed to fire up Newmarket as they equalised a minute later when Ben Robinson found space on the right and crossed in a low ball which was cleverly flicked in at the near post by Foster.

Two minutes later the Jockeys were almost in front when Foster was slipped through one-on-one but Alfie Stronge was out quickly to close the angle and saved well with his feet.

Newmarket had a chance to go in front in the 43rd minute when Robinson found space on the right again and crossed into the box. Conway got his head to it but his effort was weak allowing a routine catch for Stronge.

The second half of the game was delayed 15 minutes following an injury to one of the assistant referees which meant they were unable to continue. A qualified member of the crowd filled in for the second half as agreed by both teams to avoid the match being abandoned.

The Peckers restored their lead in the 63rd minute when Trotter broke down the left and pulled the ball back to the edge of the box for Webster and the substitute brilliantly drilled a first-time effort into the bottom left corner.

The delay at the break slowed the momentum of the second half with both spending the rest of the period resorting to sending long balls forward to minimal reward.

Tensions boiled over at full time but that doesn’t take the attention away from a top Peckers performance against a promotion-chasing side. The result will breed confidence ahead of next weekend’s visit to Downham Town.


Woodbridge: Stronge, Schaar, Rea, Southgate, Wiggins, Barber, Monteith-Weed, Bolt, Crowe (Webster 50), Trotter, Keeble Unused: Allen, Morrison, Perez-Sanchez, Curran

Newmarket: Young, Ballester, Eady (Gardner 45), Walter, Wells, Williams, Robinson (Lee 90), Bizozowiec, Foster, Conway, Cole (Maynard 63) Unused: Chivers, Seymour

63 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Woodbridge 2 v 1 Mildenhall

Report by Rob Binns Woodbridge Town suffered a 3-1 defeat at home to the recently-crowned league champions Mildenhall Town. Jack Finlinson put the Peckers in front early on with his first senior goal

Woodbridge Town 1-2 Long Melford

Report by Rob Binns Woodbridge Town suffered a narrow 2-1 defeat at home to Long Melford despite a performance that warranted more. Santi Davies opened the scoring before Kelsey Trotter levelled the g

Mildenhall 1 v 0 Woodbridge

Report by Rob Binns Woodbridge Town suffered a 2-0 defeat to league leaders Mildenhall Town despite matching them for most of the game. Two defensive mistakes proved to be the difference with Ollie Hu


bottom of page