top of page

Woodbridge 2 v 1 Lakenheath

Report by Rob Binns

Woodbridge Town made it three consecutive wins at home with a 2-1 victory over Lakenheath in what was an entertaining clash full of chances at both ends.

Ben Monteith-Weed opened the scoring with his first goal for the club before Jamie R Smith equalised for the visitors. Kelsey Trotter won it for the Peckers five minutes from time to continue the great run of recent home form.

Woodbridge went close to opening the scoring after 17 minutes when Taylor Southgate slotted Kane Webster through on goal. The striker got a good strike away but was denied by a brilliant sliding tackle.

The Peckers had a huge chance in the 33rd minute when Lakenheath keeper David Leader charged out of his box to head the ball but only sent the ball up in the air. Webster won the second ball under heavy pressure and time seemed to slow down as his flick rolled towards goal but it ended up just wide.

Lakenheath almost took the lead a minute later when they caught the defence out with a quick short corner routine which resulted in Max Kirkby arriving late for a free header but his effort went over the bar.

The Peckers went close again three minutes later when Kelsey Trotter was sent in behind. Leader slipped as he was moving across his goal but the midfielder could not take advantage and fired over.

The visitors almost took the lead in the 42nd minute when Jamie A Smith and Cam Nicholls combined with the latter trying a drilled effort from a tight angle but Alfie Stronge was down well to save.

A thrilling first half still had time for one more chance in stoppage time when Trotter had his initial shot blocked but won it back and drove towards goal. He tried to beat the keeper at his near post but Leader saved well with his feet.

The Peckers spurred a huge chance in the 52nd minute when Ryan Keeble stole the ball in the penalty area and squared for Trotter but his shot was blocked. Webster was first to the rebound but his effort was also blocked.

Woodbridge went close again 10 minutes later when Evan Bolt had a strike from a free kick which was blocked by the wall but he hit a superb volley on the rebound which came back off the bar.

The Peckers took the lead in the 66th minute when Keeble played a great dink into Trotter who turned and laid the ball off for Monteith-Weed. The winger fired a first-time shot into the far corner to finally break the deadlock.

Lakenheath equalised in the 79th minute when Smith capitalised on a miscommunication between Stronge and Sean Rea to nip in between the two and tuck home from a ball in behind.

Woodbridge went back in front in the 86th minute when Bolt dinked a lovely ball in the box for Keeble who nodded it down for Trotter and this time he made no mistake firing in on the half volley.

Lakenheath almost equalised for a second time three minutes later when Nicholls was slotted through on goal before checking onto his right foot and looking for the far corner but Stronge saved well.

The visitors finished the match with 10 men when Ethan Flack was sent to the sin bin for dissent in stoppage time without enough time to return to the field.

The Peckers held on for a thoroughly deserved victory but they will have to wait 10 days until they return to action away to Brantham Athletic on Wednesday 19th March.


Woodbridge: Stronge, Schaar, Rea, Southgate, Allen, Wiggins, Monteith-Weed (Finlinson 75), Trotter, Webster (Kussan 62), Bolt, Keeble Unused: Curran, Clark

Lakenheath: Leader, Manels (Edward 12 (Saffrey 57)), Stephenson, R Bailey, King (Collins 57), Kirkby, L Bailey, J A Smith (J R Smith 67), Flack, Young, Nicholls Unused: Mair

46 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Woodbridge 2 v 1 Mildenhall

Report by Rob Binns Woodbridge Town suffered a 3-1 defeat at home to the recently-crowned league champions Mildenhall Town. Jack Finlinson put the Peckers in front early on with his first senior goal

Woodbridge Town 1-2 Long Melford

Report by Rob Binns Woodbridge Town suffered a narrow 2-1 defeat at home to Long Melford despite a performance that warranted more. Santi Davies opened the scoring before Kelsey Trotter levelled the g

Mildenhall 1 v 0 Woodbridge

Report by Rob Binns Woodbridge Town suffered a 2-0 defeat to league leaders Mildenhall Town despite matching them for most of the game. Two defensive mistakes proved to be the difference with Ollie Hu


bottom of page